A simple audit to find if your LinkedIn profile works. You can try it as follows:
- Go to the peoples tab and hit advanced search.
- Now enter a keyword or keywords associated with your targeted position. e.g. customer service manager
- Now enter a postcode and a distance quotient. 50 miles is a reasonable choice.
- Select an industry or multiple industries that apply to you.
Now hit search.
Please note: the broader you make your search the lower your ranking will be.
Can you find yourself in the first few pages of the LinkedIn results?
Now look at the top few names that have appeared and open their profiles.
By looking at the highlighted words, you will see the criteria that LinkedIn used to filter the search. As of today, LinkedIn appears to scan only four categories:
- Professional Headline
LinkedIn scans these categories for frequency of the keywords selected. In our example: customer service manager.
So what do you do with this information? The simple answer is optimize these four LinkedIn categories with the keywords that you believe a recruiter would most likely use when looking to fill the employment position you are targeting.
If you invest an hour to insert the keywords to make sure you show up in the first few pages of a LinkedIn search for the position, geography and industry you are targeting, you will increase your chances of being found.
A quality job search strategy encompasses both pull and push marketing.
Optimizing your LinkedIn profile is only one important component of a “pull marketing” job search strategy.
Never forget as a job seeker, you should focus the majority of your time and effort on a “push marketing” campaign focused on targeted job search networking.
- If you are old enough to have a job you should be on LinkedIn (gingersocial.net)
- How to Find New Clients via LinkedIn (xemion.com)
- How LinkedIn can help you (keracottingham.wordpress.com)
- Tips for Improving Your LinkedIn Profile: Enhancing Your Profile Box (wiredflare.com)
- An Introductory Guide to Highly Effective LinkedIn Ad Campaigns (hubspot.com)
- You’re either LinkedIn or out: Why your profile should be complete. (bizcommunicator.wordpress.com)
- The New LinkedIn for College Students and Job Search Tips (windmillnetworking.com)
- Give your job search a boost with the LinkedIn Job Seeker (jeuneafriqueza.wordpress.com)
- How to find a job through LinkedIn (cathrich.wordpress.com)